If you have a lot of vegetables and flowers in your garden, then Armadillos can come to hunt worms and grubs in your flowerbeds.
Armadillos are nocturnal animals, meaning they sleep during the day and come out to visit your garden at night at around midnight, all through dusk, and leave at dawn.
Armadillos can be tough to deal with in summer but pose less threat in the winter because they don’t come out in rain.
They are usually found digging the soil to feed on insects, termites, grubs, and worms, and can tear up your garden with their digging behavior.
How to Get Rid of Armadillos from Garden and Lawn?
Deterring armadillos from your farm can be difficult, even most pesticides are ineffective to kill armadillos or scare them away.
However, there are 7 ways to get rid of armadillos from your house and garden.
- Invite forages, armadillos enemies, and predators like raccoons, bears, wolves, and bobcats to your garden.
- Fencing your garden, but make sure the foundation is deep down like 3 feet, and at least 7 feet tall, and use mesh wire. Armadillos can’t climb walls very well but can dig.
- Using motion lights in your garden at night to deter armadillos from entering your lawn. They would feel it’s daytime and delay their visit or may not be confident to invade your farm.
- Trapping armadillos can also help if they’re not endangered species in your state, you have got the license to trap them, or trapping armadillos isn’t illegal in your state.
- You can get rid of armadillo holes by filling them with repellents like pine sol and apple cider vinegar and castor oil and pumping a lot of water into the burrows in the daytime to scare them out.
- Hire an animal removal expert or company to relocate armadillos from your house.
- Using chemicals with pungent smells to irritate them and also poison their food sources.
Note: Scented plants like garlic plant or any other plant can not repel armadillos.
Also, human hair is not offensive to their sense and can not keep armadillos away.
How to Use Apple Cider Vinegar to Get Rid of Armadillos?
To stop armadillos from digging holes in your yard, and fence, fill the holes and surround them with pesticides or chemicals like ammonia.
Ammonia is one of the best chemicals to get rid of armadillos from lawns, but it’s a hazardous substance.
Therefore, apple cider vinegar with peppermint oil and spearmint oil can be used as homemade armadillos repellent to get rid of armadillos under your house.
Armadillos also hate the smell of mothballs, cayenne pepper, and Epsom salt. You can mix them with water and spray them around in your garden.
Apple cider vinegar will not get rid of armadillos from your flowerbeds. To stop armadillos from coming permanently, you need to try other safer and more effective methods discussed above.
However, you can purchase apple cider vinegar and sprinkle it around the garden to repel them since they have a strong sense of smell and do not like the odor of vinegar.
FAQs about Getting Rid of Armadillos
Does human urine repel armadillos?
Human urine does not repel armadillos, they are mammals and very intelligent.
Will Pine Sol cleaner keep armadillos away?
Pine-Sol cleaner can repel armadillos if used properly in the garden
Will Peppermint Oil keep armadillos away?
Peppermint oil is a natural oil that can be mixed with other chemicals to repel armadillos from a garden.
What can you put in a garden to keep armadillos out?
Cayenne pepper can be put in containers n strategic places in your garden as a deterrent.
Will killing grubs get rid of armadillos?
Yes, eliminating the food sources of armadillos can demotivate them from staying active in your garden
Will Irish Spring soap keep armadillos away?
Unfortunately, Irish soap bars, coffee ground, or Clorox bleach is not effective in keeping armadillos.
What will make armadillos run away from your lawn?
Quality castor oil or cayenne pepper can be used as a repellent to scare armadillos from your lawn when you spread around the perimeter of your lawn
Can you poison armadillo?
Poisoning foods and placing them around your farm is not effective as they hardly eat roughage but rather find their food from the soil.
Can ultrasonic pest repellent work on armadillos?
While ultrasonic pest repellent can be used to prevent them from burrowing, these creatures can easily adapt to it over time, and if they’re many in your garden.